Friday, April 10, 2009

Bamboo


I'd like to think I'm a pretty ethical and environmentally friendly person. With decks, I've always skated 7 plies of maple for over 20 years. I've seen boards from time to time over the past few years (Stereo, Habitat, Ebay) with 1 or 2 bamboo plies, most of which didn't get favourable reviews.

I just stumbled upon this bamboo skateboard company called Bamboo Sk8 and it looks like their boards are made with 3 or 4 plies, 100% bamboo. Pretty damn interesting! I checked out their dealer list and found Backyard Skateboards. Looks like they have deck widths ranging from 7.5" to 8.125". If anyone has tried or seen one of these, please leave a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have tried a bamboo board. Feels heavier than the rest, but managible....The board doesn't chip or chunk out if it goes whirly on you and hits a wall; it's has more of a splintering effect.....